Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Hook

Mr. Osakwe,

First let me express my eagerness to be working with you. I greaty look forward to exploring investment oportunities in the US.
Second, I feel that to develop a trust between the two of us I should tell you a little about myself. I am currently a graduate student at Miskatonic University in Arkham, Massachusets. I am studying cultural anthropology under a truly brilliant man, Professor Randolph Carter. Unfortunately for our collaboration, the professor, a few of his collegues and myself are doing fieldwork in Peru. The professor and his collegues are cataloguing ruins near Machu Pichu and making some amazing finds. Professor Carter is a brilliant man but somewhat of a neo-luddite, he can't go within ten feet of an electronic device more complicated than a flashlight without the device failing in some way. That's why he brought me along. The University, for security reasons, wants the Professor to send his notes to the campus mainframe each day. This requires a sattelite phone and laptop, neither of which are things that Professor is able to opperate. So each day I type up his notes and send them to the department head, and sometimes get a little emailing in on the side. Since the sattelite phone is rather expensive we don't use it for anything else unless there is an emergency.
The bottom line is that, unfortunately, I will be unable to establish a new bank account for our collaboration until we finish our work here and return to Arkham, which won't happen for at least a month. My bank doesn't have online banking so I can't do it over the internet even if I wanted to.
I'm very sorry to have to start this relationship with bad news but I hope this doesn't mean we won't be working together.

Sincerely,

Lydia Richmond